[ale] [OT] Help with Significant Figures Explaination

Sean McNealy sean.mcnealy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 18:02:30 EDT 2008

Unfortunately, significant figures are very representationally dependent.

Doing measurements and math in base10 is different than base2.  You
will be looking at different numbers the entire time.  They are
however "close enough", since they're within some proportionally small
delta that has been considered "insignificant".

Let's say I measure something (with a precision to about 0.1) and I
get 2.7 somethings.
My computer's A/D converter, assuming its measurement equipment is
about as precise, 10.110 somethings.  (This is 2.75 in decimal, but
only if we remove the meaning we've placed on significant figures.)

Anyway, significant figures are just a simplified way to represent and
model a statistical error (like a standard deviation) without doing a
lot of work.  Have enough digits and you're within practical
tolerances anyway.