[ale] Database conversion -- AKA Slipping the Microsoft mortal coil.

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 10:53:58 EDT 2008

Hey All,

I'd like to convert a database that was created with a Windows
application into a database that is usable by OpenOffice Base. Paper
Tiger is the application that created the database. I use it to help
organize, store and retrieve my paper files. In short, it allows me to
do a keyword search and locate just the heck where a particular file
folder is in my file cabinets.

I can import the Paper Tiger tables into OObase; however, I am having
difficulty performing queries as the last column is a comma separated
list of keywords.

I tried to depict the tables below: the first column details file
numbers, the second column details the group to which a file belongs
and the third is a list of keywords.

|| file #   || section label      || keywords
|| 1        || house projects   || windows,paint exterior,paint
interior,copper pipe,reroof,landscape ||
|| 2        || house projects   || dining room table,refinish,
minwax,stain,sand paper                    ||
|| 1        || finance              || tax,2004,irs,GA,
|| 2        || finance              || tax, 2005,irs,GA,
|| 3        || finance              || tax,2006,irs,GA,
|| 4        || finance              || tax,2007,irs,GA

Must I "normalize" the comma separated list of keywords by giving each
keyword its own column, or is it possible to construct a query that
parses through the comma separated list of keywords? Note: OObase
allows for the structuring of queries as MySQL queries.

I acknowledge that a spreadsheet would be easier. Thought I'd start
out with a relatively easy database task and build upon that knowledge
for future projects.

Paper Tiger is my last tie to the world of Windows computing. If I'm
freed of it, I will be able to kick the Windows habit -- in my home
office at least.

Thanks,
H. Preston