[ale] Question about cable modem connections

Björn Gustafsson bg-ale at bjorng.net
Wed Oct 1 09:37:00 EDT 2008

As I recall, to initially set up the cable modem you need to log into
a web interface on it and supply your Comcast email and password.
That "authenticates" the cable modem onto their network.  This is a
one-time setup that binds the modem to your Comcast account.

Unfortunately I believe the web interface in question only works with
IE.  I may be misremembering, but my recollection is that even with a
Windows box I couldn't use Firefox when I set up our new cable modem
this past spring.

It happens that I tested yesterday whether the cable modem is bound to
a particular MAC, and it is not.  I switched the modem between PCs and
a wifi router without needing to reconfigure it, or even reboot it.

--
Björn Gustafsson