[ale] [OT] Help with burning recovery disks from HP

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 20:22:36 EST 2008

I download all of my "recovery disks" from fedoraproject.com :-)

The longest a purchased machine has kept any windows disk in my control has
been about 3 hours.

Oops. That's not accurate.  There is a single machine I have running XP pro.
It was built by me and a OEM licensed XP purchased separately. It has been
up and running behind my Linux network and firewall for 6 years now. My son
downloads every free game he can find on iambored.com and it's still holding
up well. I do have clamav running daily as well as spybot S&D and Adaware.

2008/11/26 Pat Regan <thehead at patshead.com>

> Geoffrey wrote:
> > I don't know if this is a purchase option or if it's dependent on the
> > type of system, but my recent encounters with 4 Dell desktops and 2 Dell
> > laptops, none came with a recovery disk.  You were required to create it
> > from the installed software.
> >

> I don't know what the norm is, but...  I've bought 4 Dell Inspiron
> laptops for home use over the last few years.  Two 1501s for each of my
> parents, these are just about the lowest end laptop they have.  I think
> one of them was $450 the other was $350, similar specs (the $350 was
> newer and more well equipped).  I also bought two Inspiron 6400s.  All
> of them came with an XP recovery CD and a mediadirect reinstall cd.
>
> I just had the hard drive replaced in my own 6400 twice this last month
> (replacement was DOA).  Each time I told the gentleman in the chat that
> I didn't need the recovery CD.  He sent me one each time.  I don't know
> if it makes any difference, but I have 3 year on site service on this
> laptop.
>
> I couldn't tell you if these are OEM install discs or some sort of image
> or something.  They've all immediately landed in the trash can :).
>
> If someone needs these I can start saving them :).
>
> Pat

James P. Kinney III