[ale] [OT] Help with burning recovery disks from HP

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Wed Nov 26 20:10:18 EST 2008

Geoffrey wrote:
> I don't know if this is a purchase option or if it's dependent on the
> type of system, but my recent encounters with 4 Dell desktops and 2 Dell
> laptops, none came with a recovery disk.  You were required to create it
> from the installed software.

I don't know what the norm is, but...  I've bought 4 Dell Inspiron
laptops for home use over the last few years.  Two 1501s for each of my
parents, these are just about the lowest end laptop they have.  I think
one of them was $450 the other was $350, similar specs (the $350 was
newer and more well equipped).  I also bought two Inspiron 6400s.  All
of them came with an XP recovery CD and a mediadirect reinstall cd.

I just had the hard drive replaced in my own 6400 twice this last month
(replacement was DOA).  Each time I told the gentleman in the chat that
I didn't need the recovery CD.  He sent me one each time.  I don't know
if it makes any difference, but I have 3 year on site service on this
laptop.

I couldn't tell you if these are OEM install discs or some sort of image
or something.  They've all immediately landed in the trash can :).

If someone needs these I can start saving them :).

Pat