[ale] Cisco AnyConnect VPN client

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 13:55:39 EST 2008

/lib is a standard location for redhat/fedora. The binary, according to
strace, tried opening /usr/lib/foo and then failed out. There were others
that were OK as they went through a "chain" of locations looking for the
lib. But those 4 were problematic.

Binary-only packages not produced by the distro are almost always a problem.
To add insult to injury on this, Cisco uses openssl which does not require
source redistribution.

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Chris Kleeschulte <
chris.kleeschulte at it.libertydistribution.com> wrote:

> I have seen this a lot with precompiled binaries, but usually happens
> when the linker references a specific symbol in a version library
> versus the version-less symlinked pointer.
>
> such as ibXxf86misc.so -> libXxf86misc.so.1.1.0
>
> I am wondering if you should have just made sure that /lib existed in
> your linker's config file /etc/ld.so.conf? The binary should be using
> the linker to tell it where things are?
>
> then run ldconfig to update the cache
>
> Chris
>
> On Nov 25, 2008, at 12:33 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>
> > For the archives:
> >
> > The Cisco Anyconnect VPN client for Linux is supposed to work with
> > SSL certs. But "out of the box" is just won't. It appears (based on
> > strace analysis) that the vpn binary is hard linked to libs that are
> > not always there. The solution was to do some symlinks:
> >
> > ln -s /lib/libnss3.so /usr/lib/libnss3.so
> > ln -s /lib/libplc4.so /usr/lib/libplc4.so
> > ln -s /lib/libnspr4.so /usr/lib/libnspr4.so
> > ln -s /lib/libsmime3.so /usr/lib/libsmime3.so
> >
> > This worked for a Fedora 9 system (requires
> > nspr-4.7.1-0.9.1.fc9.i386 nss-3.12.1.1-5.fc9.i386
> > openssl-0.9.8g-9.fc9.i386).
> >
> > The cert was installed in firefox using the security management
> > tools - I had a private ID cert as well as a new CA cert to install.
> >

> > --
> > --
> > James P. Kinney III

James P. Kinney III