[ale] Separate /opt partition

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Nov 20 10:26:39 EST 2008

The downside to /tmp being in memory is that it decreases memory for
other processes.   Also as we've recently discovered at my job Oracle
R12 has an issue with directing temporary files to separate areas
designed for job like 11.5.9 did which meant we had to increase /tmp to
an ungodly size as a work around.  Back when I worked on Solaris by
default it use /tmp in RAM but we manually moved it off to a disk
filesystem as we found the reduction in memory to processes outweighed
the benefit of having fast /tmp.

I don't get the thing about swap if you're using external RAID.  We use
swap on LVM on the same RAID device we have the rest of the OS
filesystem LVMs and haven't seen any issues doing that.  If it is
external RAID the work is all being done by RAID controller or the array
itself so other than basic LVM overhead which is negligible I can't see
the benefit of what you suggested.