[ale] OT:email

Jim Sculley niceguyj at comcast.net
Sat Nov 8 16:15:22 EST 2008

Scott Castaline wrote:
> I opened my mail folder in a text editor and found references within the
> message to crushxmail.asp which google seemed to indicate a possible
> "email address trap", and then I googled 12/31/1969 and it went to a few
> issues related to Y2K and Winblowz. I found the only way that I could
> totally get rid of these emails was to delete the trash folder once I
> confirmed that these messages were in the the trash folder. Otherwise it
> just would pop up into the inbox or junk folders. Is it possible that
> the emails are still around from back then and can now affect Linux
> users? Or is the Y2K issue still around?

The date represents time just before the Unix 'epoch': Jan 1, 1970.
Your average computer is counting seconds (and much finer grained
values) since the epoch.  You can see this raw value with the 'date'
command and a format specifier:

[jim at littlebit ~]$ date +%s
1226179364

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

An email with a 12/31/1969 timestamp is probably just a malformed
timestamp value, parsed to the default date 1 second prior to the
epoch.  The message is likely SPAM and may have the timestamp set
deliberately, to exploit some problem in Thunderbird making it difficult
to delete (speculation).  I know I had one or two of these 12/31/1969
messages in the past, but I don't remember how I got rid of them.

Jim S.