[ale] Ogle Install?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed May 21 09:04:52 EDT 2008

Hi Marc,

There are some apps everyone likes that don't ship with redhat based stuff
for license reasons. Anything using dvdcss is a legal timebomb for redhat so
other places handle it.

If you add http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm package to your system,
you will get things like working mp3 , xine, mplayer and then also get
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/9/freshrpms-release/freshrpms-release-1.1-1.fc.noarch.rpmfor
ogle and tons of other stuff.

You may need to do things like exclude packages from one that you want to
get from the other as there is some clash/overlap.

Notes on both: I have had excellent results with kernel stuff from livna
(mainly the madwifi modules that now ship with F9!) and the multimedia stuff
I generally get from freshrpms. By default, I leave both repos disabled and
only enable them when I need specific stuff. If you're not a cli junkie,
yumex is your friend. From a root shell yum install yumex and your off to
the races.

NOTE #2: The default package manager gui crap in F9 is braindead. You can't
select multiple packages and do a bulk install. It's one at a time.
AARRGGHH! It will handle all dependencies but you must wait for each package
you select to install before you can select another. Braindead. Just fraking
braindead.

James P. Kinney III