[ale] OT: Windows XP media?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon May 19 10:54:26 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 08:27 -0400, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
> So I have an XP product key, but I'm looking for XP media for
> installing. Any ideas?

You will need to find media which matches your purpose.  If the product
key that you have is OEM, though, it's not even worth it: you must not
move an OEM licensed copy of Windows from one system to another.  (Is
that not the most retarded rule you've ever heard of?  What is up with
that crazy proprietary stuff, anyway?)

So, then, you just need to match up your release (XP Home, or XP Pro, or
whatever other versions they have of XP, I can't recall) and your
license style (Retail is the only one that lets you transfer the license
from machine to machine, so that shouldn't be too terribly hard).  If
you insist on transferring an OEM copy, good luck---Microsoft will
likely deny its activation on anything but the computer it shipped with.
Also, if it's OEM, the only thing you can do is find an OEM disc that
will work with the manufacturer key that you have (different OEM discs
recognize different subsets of the OEM product keyspace).

So...

... not fun times.

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us