[ale] bittorrent issues with Bellsouth

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Fri May 16 07:07:46 EDT 2008

Smeadspam wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>> I've done a bit of research on this issue and apparently there are a
>> number of ISPS that are throttling bandwidth when users are using
>> bittorrent.  Apparently this shows up as a high number of tcp-resets.
>>
>> What I've recently experienced is my connection is actually dropped and
>> I have to power cycle my modem to get the connection back up again.
>>
>> I don't think this is a coincidence as it's happened twice in the past
>> week and only when I had bittorrent running.
>>
>> Anyone else with Bellsouth seen anything like this?
>>

> I recently switched to AT&T/BS I have seen connection drops where the
> PPP bundle dies. The link is up and brigded but the PPP protocol has
> terminated.  This usually means a recycle of my westel and a restart of
> the PPPoE for me.  My tactic has been to confirm my side of the line as
> best as possible. In doing so, I have found my Signal to Noise levels
> near the mimimal tolerance and correcting this has shown a marked
> improvement.

This describes my problems exactly.  So what is it that you did to
address your 'signal to noise level???'

> I have pulled large iso's down and done mulitple Debian installs (via
> network install) and haven't seen a correlation to the drops with the
> volume of  traffic.  However, with Bittorrent and seeding the patterns
> aught to be different and you might have something to look at.  Comcast
> has a history of doing this type of "management".

It could well be a coincidence, but that is what I've seen.  I tried
downloading Fedora 9 last night via ftp and when I check it this
morning, the download has not finished and appears to have stalled. :(

> Just passing along my current experiences.

Thanks muchly.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin