[ale] bittorrent issues with Bellsouth

Smeadspam smeadspam at gmail.com
Fri May 16 01:34:24 EDT 2008

Geoffrey wrote:
> I've done a bit of research on this issue and apparently there are a
> number of ISPS that are throttling bandwidth when users are using
> bittorrent.  Apparently this shows up as a high number of tcp-resets.
>
> What I've recently experienced is my connection is actually dropped and
> I have to power cycle my modem to get the connection back up again.
>
> I don't think this is a coincidence as it's happened twice in the past
> week and only when I had bittorrent running.
>
> Anyone else with Bellsouth seen anything like this?

I recently switched to AT&T/BS I have seen connection drops where the
PPP bundle dies. The link is up and brigded but the PPP protocol has
terminated.  This usually means a recycle of my westel and a restart of
the PPPoE for me.  My tactic has been to confirm my side of the line as
best as possible. In doing so, I have found my Signal to Noise levels
near the mimimal tolerance and correcting this has shown a marked
improvement.

I have pulled large iso's down and done mulitple Debian installs (via
network install) and haven't seen a correlation to the drops with the
volume of  traffic.  However, with Bittorrent and seeding the patterns
aught to be different and you might have something to look at.  Comcast
has a history of doing this type of "management".

Just passing along my current experiences.

William