[ale] Ubuntu 8.04 not an LTS release?

Nick Ali nali at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 29 05:10:37 EDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 3:02 AM, Dow Hurst <Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com> wrote:
> I just read on the Kubuntu site that Canonical has decided to not have
>  8.04 as an LTS release.  I could not confirm this on the regular Ubuntu
>  site.  Is this true?

Yes.

KDE is a bit in limbo right now, with most people still using KDE 3.5,
but a lot of developers moving on to KDE 4. KDE 4 isn't quite ready
(or solid, whatever you want to call it) yet and probably won't be for
a few months. If Canonical made 8.04 with KDE 3.5 a LTS release, they
would have to support it for 3 years, but there would be no developers
fixing any issues since they will have moved on to KDE 4. Kubuntu with
KDE 4 in 8.04 will still have issues that need to be worked through. I
don't think Canonical wants to tag KDE 4 with LTS when it knows it
will have problems, coming out the door.

Just my opinion.

nick

--

http://boredandblogging.com