[ale] udev file permissions

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Mar 10 11:56:01 EDT 2008

Haven't done it on RHEL4 but on RHEL5 I was able to set some (disk)
device permissions in udev:

This is my /etc/udev/rules.d/60-raw.rules file for raw devices:

# PERC 5/i Logical Disk partitions to raw bindings for Oracle 10gR2
#
# Note:  No Oracle Clusterware/CRS this host so no voting disk or OCR
raw)
#
# Note: no redundancy required here - Using PERC 5/i RAID 5 Logical Disk
#
# Basic Bindings
# raw1 & raw2 = Disks for first ASM Disk Group (Data)
   ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="sda6", RUN+="/bin/raw /dev/raw/raw1 %N"
   ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="sda7", RUN+="/bin/raw /dev/raw/raw2 %N"
# raw3 & raw4 = Disks for second ASM Disk Group (Flash Recovery Area
[FRA]
   ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="sda8", RUN+="/bin/raw /dev/raw/raw3 %N"
   ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="sda9", RUN+="/bin/raw /dev/raw/raw4 %N"
#
# Permissions for bound raw devices
# ASM (Data and FRA)
   KERNEL=="raw[1-4]*", OWNER="mrdtora", GROUP="dba", MODE="660"
#
#
##################### END OF ORACLE CUSTOMIZATIONS

With above udev IS setting permissions, ownership and group on every
boot for my raw devices as required by Oracle.  (No need for a reboot -
run the /sbin/start_udev command for testing.)

A quick Google search for ttyUSB udev revealed this link that seems to
suggest similar syntax for your USB stuff:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-install-list/2006-February/msg0014
0.html