[ale] oocalc: a sad story from a oocalc newbie

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Wed Mar 5 22:36:11 EST 2008

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 10:00 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:

>  >  ;-)  sad, yes.  But where to place the blame....
>  >

>  I'm a long, long, long time vi user.  (25 years. OMG!!)
>
>  I expect to be able to type <editor> <file> and if it is new it just
>  creates one for me.

Correct.  But that is vi functionality and not guaranteed to be in all
other products.  man vi clearly shows that is a feature of vi, but man
oocalc doesn't say that.  So, I (IMHO) don't think it's right to say
"sad story from a oocalc newbie" esp if you have 25 years experience
with other software products.  Surely you should know by now that no
two software applications are similar, yet identical in features. ;-)

>  Or at least says "File does not exist.  Do you want to create it?"
>
>  Fyi: I have no idea what MSO does in this situation and I don't care.
>  I just don't think OO is meeting typical Linux behavior.

"Typical Linux behavior" is probably not only a moving target, but a
wide one as well.  I honestly have never heard of anyone using OO via
command line... so your experiences aren't really typical, IMHO.

>  To be honest, I've been using Linux as my desktop for 4 or 5 months.
>  I've resorted to the vmware XP solution way more than I would have
>  expected.

I've been in that rut too over the years.  But I have to say, Linux
has come a long way over the years I've been using it.  I'm down to
VMware only for games or .exe only applications (which is pretty rare
these days, even for me)

-Jim P.