[ale] Introduction, and Atlanta ISP Questions

Andrew Grieser agrieser at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 18:56:51 EDT 2008

Hey all,

I'll use this message both as an introduction, and a chance to pose my
first question.

My name is Andrew Grieser and I will be moving to Atlanta for graduate
school at the end of July. I currently live in Toledo, Ohio and am
actively involved with the local Linux users group here (talug.org). I
hope to get involved with the open source community in Atlanta, and
look forward to meeting ALE members this fall.

Now, onto my question: I'm looking for advice on choosing an ISP in
Atlanta. In Toledo I use a local ISP that I have been very satisfied
with. No traffic shaping, no port blocking, and they are easy to deal
with. Because I've been spoiled, I am somewhat concerned about my
choice for an ISP in Atlanta. So what are my options?

I do have some specific requests. I use my old desktop as a server with
ssh, a web-gui for revision control, and several other remote access
programs. So I would prefer no blocked ports. I also want an ISP that
doesn't interfere with my packets; in that if I want to download the
latest distro releases, I want to be able to torrent them (and seed
once I am finished). Finally, upload speed is important. I would prefer
5Mbps up/down to 10Mbps down and 256kbps up.

Essentially I just want a transparent ISP that simply connects me to
the Internet. Does this exist? Advice and opinions are appreciated, as
I am basically entering this blind. I will be located just north of
Georgia Tech if that makes a difference.

Andrew