[ale] wireless at Starbucks

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 22:20:23 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Geoffrey Myers <lists at serioustechnology.com>
wrote:

> > Once upon a time I was dead-set against this type of behaviour.  Now
> > I am of the opinion that either the owner is allowing the activity,
> > doesn't care, or is too lazy and/or cheap to ensure the activity
> > doesn't occur.  This has been too much in the news to be oblivious
> > to it.  However, if they wish to remain ignorant, they do so at
> > their peril.  Should they not like it, then they will do something
> > about it; part of the problem with society today is the lack of
> > personal responsibility!
>
> I would agree with you there, but if my neighbor leaves his keys in
> his car with the door unlocked, I'm not going to take it for a spin.
> Even if I know he's not going to be using during the time I would be
> away.

Oooh! Philosophy!

There is a difference between using the car and using the wireless. With the
car, the owner is completely deprived of his ability to use the  car. It is
not a sharable thing in this manner. The wireless however _is_ usable by
both at the same time. Does it deprive the wireless owner of his use? Maybe.
Is it proper to do so without prior permission? No.

My wireless router is completely unlocked. I was the first person in my
neighborhood to have wireless (and ISDN and DSL, and...) and I set it up so
anyone nearby could sit outside with their laptop and the the Intertubes.
Why? Because I can.

Now there are at least 6 WAPs near me all much faster than mine and all
locked down. These all belong to the windows using dweebs that used to surf
for free on my DSL line(s). My little 801.11b is still open and free. Why?
Because I can. Turns out my freebie is easier to connect to from outside
than their 802.11g systems are with the security keys. (I don't know why).

I am contemplating putting up a tall mast on a new router and still making
it free as well. With some cantenna toys and some geek time, I can
coordinate with my neighbors and make a neighborhood mesh setup for
saturated Intertube coverage. Why? Because I can!

> --
> Later, Geoffrey

James P. Kinney III