[ale] Wireless at resrots

Keith Miller smeadspam at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 08:24:06 EDT 2008

Hey Chris,

I'm over at Plantation Resort at Surfside and had horrible connection
issues.  Mine seem to be related to PatronSoft Captive Portal and a
buggy 2.6.24 kernel.  I write this even now on Windows 2000.  I found
the I couldn't connect to the AP by ESSID because the name was too long
(Uh??!), then when I worked around that I could sometimes get an IP from
the DHCP server.  But the clincher was the CaptivePortal. I'd have to
fire up Firefox to sign in and I'd hard lock every time. Nasty stuff.  I
did happen to find an open, unsecured AP named "dlink" so I "borrowed"
that just to compare. My lockups took longer, if at all, to occur.  I
also found no connection problems using the two "open" AP at the
resort's outside pool and activity center.

That's when I found this running thread:

And I found this thread:

http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7320&sid=8a7441fedc8271292b1ed2bedcf8d03f

So I'd say i was "..twice bitten once shy".

I did find some stablity by using iwconfig, dhclient, and lynx in the
CaptivePortal scenario but otherwise I felt annoyed that I paid for
in-room service AND was forced to use the Windows Partition.

K (Running Debian/Lenny 2.6.24 with XFCE)