[ale] md w/raid 0 before LVM?

Giulio (lists) lists at cruton.info
Mon Jun 2 20:17:21 EDT 2008

On Monday 02 June 2008, Brian W. Neu wrote:
>  was fd, now 8e
>

>  Giulio (lists) wrote:
> On Monday 02 June 2008, Brian W. Neu wrote:
>
>  [problem]   \>2 ->was raid0 md5, now two separate physical volumes
> of VolGroup00 with LogVol01 snapshots striping to sdg2 also \>3
> ->md6 (RAID0 physical volumes for snapshots of LogVolRD5)
>
>  PCIe SATA
>         \> sdg (same layout as sdf)
>
>  So the problem is that the kernel gets all bitchy that it can't
> properly find the device with UUID of either the md5 device(when it
> was configured) or the sdg2 physical volume when using LVM
> striping.  I'm actually just noticing that this might be the sdg
> device.
>
>  When I boot off of the Fedora 9 rescue media, it sees everything
> perfectly.  I can manipulate the drives and volumes however I
> want.  But it won't boot if sdg2 is part of something that is part
> of VolGroup00.
>
>  So is it possible that the PCIe card isn't loading soon enough for
> VolGroup00?
>

> Brian,
>
> Might seem obvious but what is the partition type for /dev/sdf2?
>
> Giulio

The only time I have seen something similar was when I, in a stroke of
genius, left the partitions type as 83 and the kernel will panic but
booting from another partition the init scripts activated all md and
lvm stuff. That's why I asked.

Anyway, you might be right thinking the problem is /dev/sdg (assuming
partitions types are the same as sdf) and the module for your card.
Where is sdg in your dmesg? Maybe compare it to a dmesg from your
Fedora9 kernel?

Giulio