[ale] Dell offers Ubuntu 8.04 on new hardware

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Jul 31 17:47:25 EDT 2008

On Jul 31, 2008, at 5:08 PM, Forsaken wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:02:49 -0400
> "James Taylor" <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> wrote:
>
> I'm going to install XP via BootCamp and dual boot it with Ubuntu.
> That
> way whatever OS I need, I have it on disk (I don't store a whole lot
> of
> stuff on my laptops, that's what the big raid5 in the closet is for)
>
> So far I'm liking OS X (at least as an alternative to windows), but
> I've only been playing with it for a few hours. I haven't touched
> MacOS
> since 8 prior to this, so there's a few things to learn.
>
> Anyone happen to have a link handy on getting file sharing to work
> between MacOS X Leopard and Debian? I'd really prefer to avoid samba
> or
> nfs if possible. Most of what I can find through a quick googling
> refers to older versions of Mac OS X, and I was given to understand
> that Leopard changed alot of things (that and I'm still learning my
> way
> around the damned OS, so half the crap on the MacOSX side doesn't make
> sense yet)

I know you said you'd prefer to avoid samba, but it's working fine
from my macbook pro and my other linux boxes on my network.  None of
them are Debian though.  However, all my samba shares just showed up
on my Mac, so I don't think you'd have a problem going that route,
although you want to avoid it. ;)

--
Geoffrey