[ale] Misleading Editorial needs Rebuttal

Giulio (lists) lists at cruton.info
Wed Jul 30 13:11:42 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 30 July 2008, aaron wrote:
> The editorial below showed up in the AJC this morning.
>
> It appears to me to basically be a preparatory apology from an
> FCC member for failing to do his job (yet again).  In general
> it is yet another promotion of the corporate welfare state and
> the myth of commercial "self regulation".
>
> As I understand the Commiecast throttling situation, the editorial
> also severely misrepresents the realities of the situation; the
> crime was that Commiecast was denying customers contracted
> and payed for bandwidth based on the way were using it! The
> arguments also bury the fact that the goals of the not-for-profit
> government, educational and independent engineering groups
> that built the internet and solve its problems were to improve
> the technology, while the only goals of any commercial corporate
> interest are greed, greed and greed.
>
> I suggest that we need to provide an informed rebuttal.
> Any thoughts??
>
> peace
> aaron

My $0.002. Not sure as informed rebuttal but:

First part. History lesson.
The internet is Darwin ^10^10^10. Who cares what the beak of the finch
looked a millennium ago when now is a 5 ton fish that flies.
Intersting, but irrelevant.

Second part. The rant.
The pipe analogy that they seem to like.
You own the pipes that get to consumers showers. You,  a business and
marketing genius, decide that your business model is going to
be "let's sell the pressure that comes out the shower".
Does not matter how much water they use.
And you **know** that if every one decides to have a shower at the
same time, pressure is going to be crappy. But what's a bit of
selling what you do not have, right?

You, again the genius  you are, realize: this is not working.
More pipes, expensive, go back and charge for water used, we look
**really bad**.

How do we solve our crappy business decision?
I know, I know, let's cut pressure to those tyrants that shower all
the time, maybe nobody will notice .... said the idiot.

Third part. Leave us alone.
You got caught trying to fix your poor bussines decision by screwing
your customers. But you want to be left alone by promising to do the
right thing.

Giulio