[ale] OT: Linux: the threat is real!

Forsaken forsaken at targaryen.us
Wed Jul 30 10:30:32 EDT 2008

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:11:16 -0400
"Ned Williams" <nedj10 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The cartoon fails to point our that once the user "goes to unbuntu"
> they would first drink the ubuntu kool-aid afterwhich their eyes
> would turn to cartoon X's and everything would mystically work...and
> all without root access!

Oh, I think that could make a cartoon in and of itself.

The sad thing is, I think that, while I don't consider myself a
kool-aid drinker, I've become a big fan of Ubuntu. The last time I
tried installing any form of Unix on my laptop, there was always some
kind of issue... either the video card didn't work right, the sound
didn't work right, the wireless card didn't work right, blah blah blah,
etc etc etc. (Of course this was an older HP laptop, so I'm not very
surprised I had issues). It was easier to just go ahead and install
windows on the lappy.

Well last year I finally chucked the HP lappy and got a modern one. I
cannot express the level of shock on my face when Ubuntu finished
installing and it worked. Every last bit of it. Absolutely no hardware
issues. So Ubuntu is what finally made me make the move to using Linux
full time as a desktop. Now I'm at the point where the only windows box
I have left is my gaming rig, and even that's in a dual-boot setup.

I'm not totally gone though, my servers are all Debian ;)