[ale] Extreme Practical Data Recovery (Part 2)

Robert Reese~ ale at sixit.com
Wed Jul 23 12:56:48 EDT 2008

> I don't have a link handy, but I have seen a anti-spinrite web
> article or two.
>
> Basically it said that spinrite is pure marketing spin and
> effectively does nothing.

I guess you just have to try it to find out.  In my experience it works quite well.

> (ie. Especially with modern error drives there is not much ability
> to fine tune what the drive does.  You just ask for data and it
> gives it to you.  Error handling is automatic.)

Well, in the same vein Windows XP has a firewall and anti-spyware, so I guess having a third-party protection isn't going to do anyone any good either.  ;c)  Or, if you prefer another analogy, does the phrase "oil light" ring any bells WRT automatic error handling?

Cheers,
R~