[ale] OT Hp 4600dn color printer problem

jtholmes linux at jtholmes.com
Tue Jul 22 21:07:08 EDT 2008

Need some Hp 4600dn info and possibly parts.

 A friend of mine has a 4600dn and it appears that the
one and only JetDirect card in the machine has expired.

What I need to help him out.

1- the I/O config screen does not contain a reference to
    EIO  X   (X = 1,2,3)
    Is the JetDirect card not being detected?

2- is it possible anything in the Printer itself took out the JetDirect
Card?

3-  If Item One above is true and Item Two is false  then I need a
J6057a  Jet direct card

4- What $$ amount are we talking about for a J6057a   Jetdirect card

5- Where can I get one of this type of JetDirect card and if it does not
work
    (due to problems in the printer) be able to return it?

6-  Using parallel port on printer presents its own set of problems because
     the PC (Vista, ugh!) has only USB ports and we would have go thru
     a USB to parallel device and purchase a special printer cable.

thanks in advance for all info