[ale] Extreme Practical Data Recovery

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Fri Jul 18 10:47:29 EDT 2008

Geoffrey wrote:
> Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>

>> 	Wouldn't.  Not unless you found the hidden telepathy directory.
>>

> That reminds me of an old sys admin trick I learned (and have since
> forgotten) when I was at AT&T.  I was taking a class and the instructor
> demonstrated how you could hide a directory by manipulating the links
> between directories using a tool called fsdb.  Basically, you set it up
> so that you could only back into the directory.  Something like:
>
> cd a/b/c
> cd ..
>
> was the only way to get to directory 'b'.
>
> Where as doing:
>
> cd a/b
>
> Wouldn't work.
>
> It's been so long ago I can't remember the specifics, so I might be a
> little off on the description.

Reminds me of something I had done back in '84. I was in a UNIX training
class while working for Quotron Systems. Everyone in the class had a
keyboard and monitor on their desk and the instructor had a 23" tube
behind him so that the class could see it. I had managed to access root
and cross linked my keyboard input buffer to his video output buffer and
vis-versa. He was demonstrating how these buffers worked and how to
access them to trouble shoot problems. As he was typing whatever it was
I don't remember, but something to the effect of "This is how it works,
you are now seeing what I'm typing!", Of course his screen was behind
him so he couldn't see what was showing up, "Don't listen to him, he has
no idea what is going on!!!" Needless to say it brought about a little
bit of a disruption in class. It did end up with a job offer to the
training dept. with paid moving expenses from FL. to CA. included.