[ale] Seeking quality embedded SOHO firewall/wireless/vpn device that supports Linux

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Fri Jul 18 10:40:36 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:
> John Wells wrote:
>> For years and years, I've used a combination of a Linksys WAP and open
>> source (at times homegrown, Smoothwall, PFsense, and now IPCop)
>> firewalls to protect my home LAN. However, given space requirements in
>> my office and the attempt to be greener, I'm eliminating most of my
>> desktop machines with low-power devices. I first replaced my homegrown
>> NAS with a NetGear ReadyNAS device (which, btw, is very nice and runs
>> Debian under the covers)...now, I'm looking at the firewall.
>>
>> I'd like a device that will provide very, very good protection on the
>> broadband and wireless interfaces, while allowing wireless clients to
>> connect via VPN so that they can access the rest of my LAN. It's also
>> very important that the VPN works well with Linux.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a decent, affordable, and most important, secure, device?
>
> Anything you can find on these lists:
>
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware
> http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Sorry for the delay...I've been traveling out of the country.

I already have a device listed in the openwrt.org page...the Linksys
WRT54GS. I've been running SveaSoft Satori on it for years. However, I
was under the (perhaps mistaken?) impression that the hardware in the
device simply wasn't sufficient to run a decent VPN on...I was afraid
it would consume too many resources. Is this not the case? Also, since
Satori was simply an extension of the open source Linksys rom, I was
concerned with the firewall capability.

So, do I already have the answer? Will OpenWrt provide a sufficient
firewall and VPN for my SOHO on the WRT54GS?

Thanks!
John