[ale] Installing Linux on removed laptop drives

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 16:27:57 EDT 2008

Last nite I also successfully got Xubuntu on an old laptop of mine
(Toshiba Portege 3110CT, PII, 300 MHz, 192 MB RAM, 6.4 GB HDD, also no
floppy or CD ROM available) by removing the hard drive, using an HDD-USB
adapter that Jim recommended to me a while back, and installing Xubuntu
from CD using my main Fedora/K12LTSP box here in the basement.  Only
issues I ran into were 1) booting up Xubuntu on the Fedora box and
installing it to the laptop HDD resulted in corrupting my MBR/Grub
loader and I had to put CD #1 one of K12LTSP back, check "upgrade" and
it repaired the MBR/Grub loader just fine.  2) After I installed the
drive in the laptop, it tried to boot and said "disk does not exist" and
I finally figured out that it configured GRUB to boot Xubuntu from hd2
(which it was on the Fedora box), so I figured out how to edit GRUB's
menu.lst file (Xubuntu uses "mousepad" instead of gedit, plus you have
to use sudo in Ubuntu, and no, I didn't want to use vi, much as Jim
forces me to every time I visit him!) and then Xubuntu worked great on
the old laptop, 12 seconds to load Firefox, 8 seconds to load Abiword,
and zippy to use.  Plus, this laptop has a dongle that has Ethernet on
it, and thus could also be used as a thin client.  Definitely a keeper.

I'm now wondering how best to repeat this next time so I don't have to
repair booting for my Fedora box (maybe I only needed to save the old
menu.lst first?)  Is there a way to install on a host PC from CD/DVD to
a USB-connected laptop drive w/o affecting the host box?  If I got a
batch of similar laptops for GOSEF, I'll learn how to use Clonezilla,
but for now, I have to try different distros just to see what works best.

Thanks, Daniel

--
Daniel Howard
President and CEO