[ale] open source solutions for Win 98 on an old laptop

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Jul 17 10:12:22 EDT 2008

Daniel Howard wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>>> With 80 MB RAM and only 1 GB HDD, any other suggestions of Linux
>>> versions to try on it?
>>
>> Slack.  Slackware has never failed me when loading it on low end
>> hardware.
>
> What browser/word processor/spreadsheet would be used in Slackware?

It comes with both KDE and gnome and their respective office suites.
Firefox 3.0 for the current slackware.  See more here:

http://www.slackware.com/

package search and browser:

http://packages.slackware.it/

> Given no CDROM and no bootable USB support, can I start the Slackware
> install from a floppy?

Yeah, I've got an old P166 laptop that does not have an attached cdrom.
  That was loaded via floppy. You can also boot from floppy and do a
network install. See more here:

http://www.slackware.com/install/

>  > Security wise, you're screwed with win98, it's no longer supported by
>> Microsoft (July 2006).  I would expect that if you stick that puppy on
>> the internet, it will get infected and/or cracked.
>>

> Yah, I put Avast and Opera on it and it does browse the web just fine,
> but I'm sure it's only a matter of time...

Very short time if it's on the internet.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin