[ale] New Topic: White Papers

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Jul 16 16:12:06 EDT 2008

Funny that - I assume your suit bottom is a kilt rather than trousers?

Actually like the prior poster I read them when I'm researching a
specific subject or on rare occasion when the title of one catches my
eye.

On occasion they are funnier than your average humor novel.  I recall
reading one written by Sybase several years ago that was attempting to
explain why the database crashed due to "disk error" when the underlying
filesystem, volume manager and storage array ( EMC Symmetrix) had no
issues whatsoever.   The white paper basically implied that Sybase was
psychic and would preemptively fail (thereby corrupting the DB) when it
"sensed" a disk was ripe for failure.   My derisive chortling could be
heard all the way to Sybase's Corporate HQ and no one I challenged on it
was willing to defend it.   For one thing even if it WERE somehow
psychic why wouldn't it simply send an alert rather than corrupt itself.
(Note that even 6 months later none of the disks had failed let alone
the protected RAID group into which they were all bound.)