[ale] Since we're on the subject of jobs lately

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Jul 16 11:07:13 EDT 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Jeff Lightner wrote:

> Who said anything about functionality?
>
> However, since you asked:  They're great for catching things that would
> otherwise land on your shirt.   Back when I wore suit & tie I usually
> had a spare tie at work.  I've NEVER kept a spare shirt at work.

And - if I am not mistaken, the origin of the tie was a napkin which was
pretty much knotted onto your neck. Washing the napkin was cheaper than
washing one of your two shirts.

> Personally I never really minded wearing a suit - it was like garanimals
> for adults - no need to coordinate top and bottom - just wear a neutral
> colored shirt and a conservative tie with the suit.  :-)

I _like_ that desciption of a suit! "garanimals for adults"!

> What's the functionality of wearing pants instead of a kilt?  Why wear
> clothes at all on warm days?  We all conform to some degree either due
> to custom or law.   Those who don't, typically end up living under
> bridges or in jails.

Or dead. We are social critters, and depend on our neighbors.

I'm a lousey person to get career advice from, and interviews are probably
a weakness in a weak case. That said...

That said, if you own a suit & tie, and can wear it reasonably
confortably, wearing it to an interview probably will not hurt.
Substituting a conservative sport jacket with matching slacks probably
works also, and you might get more use out of the clothes. The sport
jacket/slacks approach can be tuned tie/tieless depending on conditions.
And my personal suggestion would be to learn to tie a real tie and wear it
like it is comfortable as opposed to a clip-on style.

I can think of conditions where "formal" dress at an interview might not
be appropriate - such as an engineering position at a manufacturing site
where there might be safety &/or durability issues during a walk around -
but in general slightly overdressed should be preferable to overly
informal.

Most locations I'd question wearing sandels on the interview. Good socks
with dress shoes (not sneakers). An exception might be Boston during the
winter, when ankle level hiking boots may work out with a three-piece suit
and tie.

Point is, you want to make a positive impression _before_ you get a chance
to open your mouth.

One further point, and one that has actually worked for me, is write thank
you notes _after_ the interview. Partly it is old fashioned manners, but
also the opportunity to make yourself more memorable.