[ale] Since we're on the subject of jobs lately

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Wed Jul 16 10:51:52 EDT 2008

Chris Fowler wrote:
> Jeff Lightner wrote:
>> I disagree with the tie comments.
>>

> What is the functional use of a tie?
>> There's an old saying:
>> You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
>>
>> I've been employed in the IT field since 1991 and it was sometime before
>> 1996 that everyone went casual - despite that as I noted above I've
>> always worn a suit and tie to interviews.  Once the job starts it's
>> casual all the way.
>>
> Unfortunately, over the last many years I've only worn suits to funerals.
>
> I think that for me I would wear some slacks, nice button shirt, and a
> conservative tie.
> No jacket.  For one it is Summer and not jacket is needed :)
>
> Also wear a nice pair of shoes.  If you wear a black belt, wear black
> shoes.  Same rule applies for brown.   Have your outfit pressed at the
> cleaners.   Do not pump gas on the day of the interview unless
> afterwards.   Be conservative with any cologne.
>
> As far as interviews, I've really not even cared to read any resumes.
> If I do it may only be for contact information.  To me what is important
> is what the person knows and what the person can do.

I find this interesting.  When I was with AT&T, I had two different
positions where one of my responsibilities was technical interviews.
One for hiring and one for promoting.  In all cases, I always reviewed
the resumes unless it was one of those rare occasions where it was much
greater then 2 pages.

Unfortunately, my experiences indicate that roughly 50% of the folks
interviewed either stretched the truth, or out right lied.  I simply
could not believe it.  In my mind, that was a key issue in determining
the persons integrity, and therefore, whether they should be hired or
promoted.

My personal belief regarding a resume is that you should be a tad on the
side of bragging, but NEVER lie or stretch the truth.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin