[ale] Since we're on the subject of jobs lately

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Wed Jul 16 10:23:44 EDT 2008

James Sumners wrote:
> I'm not understanding this bit of advice. I've been under the
> impression that you want to dress nicely for a job interview. And it
> seems to me that the accepted "nicely" for guys is a suit and tie. So
> how would wearing a tie indicate that I don't know what I'm doing? I
> know that one of the questions I will ask at every interview I go to
> will be about the accepted day-to-day dress. I much prefer jeans and a
> t-shirt, but I don't believe that is appropriate for an interview.

I've not been in the 'interviewing' scene for a while, but the one thing
I do recall, and I would expect that it still applies, you're better off
over dressing then under dressing.

That being said, I'm wondering if a sport jacket/suite is over doing it
for a tech position.  Maybe lose the jacket and go with a nice shirt/tie.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin