[ale] Since we're on the subject of jobs lately

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 10:13:42 EDT 2008

2008/7/16 Warren Myers <volcimaster at gmail.com>:
> I'd argue that the company is trying to sell itself to you - and that if you
> show up all decked-out that you're over doing it, and they'll know they
> don't have to try hard to get you.
>
> If you're competent - and you don't show up looking like a total slob -
> they'll want you.
>
> I never show up in anything more interesting than pants and a polo or
> short-sleeve button-up shirt. If they're that stuffy, I don't want to work
> there.
>
> Course, if you *like* suits and ties (I haven't worn either in over 10
> years), then go for it.

I'd consider that there are a great many people involved in the hiring
process that are not
judging your competence by how you answer questions - the HR people,
the managers,
the directors, etc.  They are not going to ask you to solve a problem,
they are going to
look at your appearance, manners, and such.  And many of *those*
people are not the
"best and brightest" so they *do* consider attire in the equation.

--
Pete Hardie
--------