[ale] question about hiring developers

Chris Kleeschulte chris.kleeschulte at it.libertydistribution.com
Tue Jul 15 18:27:41 EDT 2008

Paul:

Your email really helped. It was thoughtful and focused on my unique
issue, thanks.

I used to live in Phx. I hated it there and loved Atl, so I picked up
and moved thinking I will ask to telecommute and if they say no, then
I will try and get a new job in Georgia.

I know lots of people in AZ including users groups, Java, Wireless,
Ruby, and Ruby on Rails people. Unfortunately, most of those people
are consultants and are doing well. I know lots of people from ASU
(the local university), but most need "sponsorship" and this job
won't sponsor.

I agree that it really is "who you know". I always thought this was
most pertinent when job seeking, but from your email, it applies to
many more things.

I really think the point is that I need to network more here and in
Phx to find the right contact.

It is funny that you mentioned Joel Splosky, I just saw him speak at
Rails Conf in Portland. I read his blog and always hated him, but
since I have met him, he is not the antichrist like I made him out to
be.  I have changed my view of him.

I go to phx every quarter or so, but find that I do not need to go
that often. I go more often after november ;) but before April when
it is 8 million degrees again.

I think overall you are correct in saying that if you are good are
your job, you are usually fully employed and it takes a better deal
to pry you away.

Chris