[ale] Have a bit of fun with a book

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Jul 15 05:36:59 EDT 2008

Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 10:39 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
>> Dang! Haven't made it through the first chapter and I'm  feeling
>> creepy! Thanks for the heads-up on the new read, dude. I'll bet it's
>> on the list for 2000+.
>>
>> I really like the links to teacher material in the preview/philosophy
>> prelude. This is looking like it should be on the shelf next to 1984
>> which is still covered but not so much as during cold-war days -
>> people don't like seeing the flipflop nature of global politics).
>
> Wow.  I just read this the entire way through, and I thought it was
> absolutely amazing.

Ditto.  And I sent the following to about two dozen friends and
acquaintances, most of whom have no particular connection to IT:

> Sorry to bother you, and apologies if you've already done so, but I
 > think as many people as possible should read this book:
>
> http://craphound.com/littlebrother/Cory_Doctorow_-_Little_Brother.htm
>
> The full text is available at the link above. Here's the first sentence:
>
> "I'm a senior at Cesar Chavez high in San Francisco's sunny Mission
 > district, and that makes me one of the most surveilled people in the
world."

> If you like the  book, or even if you just can't be bothered to read
 > it right now, please pass the link on to anyone you think might be
 > interested in issues surrounding freedom and control in an information
 > society.  Especially kids.
>
> Thank you for your attention,
>
> -- Joe

Maybe a few of them will read it.  That first sentence is a great
hook.

-- JK

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov