[ale] OT:DVD burner recommendations

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Jul 11 12:16:38 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 11:50 -0400, Scott Castaline wrote:
> Somebody had provided a link in regards to the fact that there really
> are only a handfull of CD-DVD/Burner mfgs and the rest just repackage
> etc. The link had an article that Toshiba(at lest I think it was
> Toshiba) is gearing up to release a 16 layer 400GB burner in the near
> future.

They've the technology for a reader, but not a burner yet, so far as I
have seen [1].  Still, very interesting, though I can't see what 400 GB
on a disc could _possibly_ be used for.  Even Wikipedia isn't that large
(though all of its history probably is larger than that, after the .bz2
file it is in is decompressed) [2].

Though, there is a certain utility to 80mm discs over the 120mm ones.
And random-access read/write is an even larger win.  :)

	--- Mike

[1] http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Blu-ray,5836.html
[2] http://download.wikimedia.org/enwiki/latest/

--