[ale] USB Group and VirtualBox

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 00:05:04 EDT 2008

Hi,

My wife and I are doing some research to see how we can get USB support for
VirtualBox.  She found a web site stating someone's theory that a line of
coding, in /etc/fstab, allowing access through the USB group is the best
option.  It makes sense to me, but I noticed that neither one of us had a
USB group in our groups.  She's running openSUSE and I'm running Fedora.

Can we simply create a USB group and call it a day or does this group have
to use a certain ID number for it to "act" as the USB group?  Thanks.

Here's the link to the article:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/VirtualBox#USB_Devices_Grayed_Out

Here's the line of code for fstab:
# 85 is the USB group
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=85,devmode=664 0 0

Marc F.

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.."
-Rev1:4