[ale] Firefox-3 and authorizing home-made certs

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Tue Jul 8 22:28:11 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:
> I have the same problem with my HP printer and FF3. The printer has a
> network interface with web access. Is it safe to set "Select one
> automatically" under Preferences -> Advanced -> Encryption ->
> Certificates? It seems that under the default of ask me everytime I have
> to go into View Certificates -> Other and delete the one created for my
> printer. Or should I go with allowing the creation of the cert., export
> it and then import it into Servers category and leave the option set to
> "Ask me every time."?

Printers and wifi APs, that support SSL, will auto regenerate their
SSL certs each time after a restart.  So, if you add the printer/AP
cert to your browser it will only work until you reboot the device.
After that, you will not be able to access the device until you remove
the existing client-side cert and replace it with the new copy issued
by the device.

-Jim P.