[ale] XP Malware - XP Security Center

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Thu Jul 3 00:35:51 EDT 2008

Short question: do you have a win XP malware removal tool you recommend?

Long version:

I've googled myself to death on this one.  I've tried everything so far
except purchasing a new Windows antimalware program (currently use
ClamAV and Spybot SD).  I've somehow picked up a malware program that
puts a red circle with a white X in it in the task tray that keeps
trying to get me to buy some rogue antispyware program called XP
Security Center.  I researched it, sure enough it's malware (rogue
antispyware), found the names of the files used (winivstr.exe and
braviax.exe) and couldn't delete them due to being in use, so I booted
my XP install disk in recovery mode, and deleted the files from all
locations found from searching (in the WINDOWS and SYSTEM32
directories), and dang if they still don't get replaced on reboot.

So, I probably need to purchase a better tool for removal, but there's
so much crap out there that poses as malware removal that is likely yet
another malware package.  Is there a good malware removal package that
would work on beasties like this one?

Thanks, Daniel