[ale] Windows Server 2003

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 00:04:48 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:24 PM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:

> Jim Kinney wrote:
> >>    1. Active Directory,
> >>
> >> fdisk drive, install Centos 5 and open ldap with FDS if gui needed. AD
> is a
> > total crapshoot.
> >
> >>    1.
> >>    2. Profile Management,
> >>
> >> standard ldap tools. Use webmin if non-geek need to add a user
> >
> >>    1.
> >>    2. Group Policy Definition,
> >>
> >> ditto
>
> C'mon. I want it as much as the next guy or gal, but until samba 4 is
> out the door linux doesn't have a drop in replacement for active directory.

True. But all of those things exist to provide a work-around for a poor
design anyway.

Profile and group policy are mickysoft hack attempts at trying to replicate
the functionality of ~/.profile, ~/.bashrc and all the others. Most profiles
are full of cruft designed specifically to instantiate some corporate
mandated solution for a virus scanner, automounting drives and the like.

Yes, there is no drop-in replacement for AD. I would posit it is not needed.
Not even on a windows network. Specifically because of how AD domain
membership is handled (secretly stored encrypted cookie marked "unmovable"
on the hard drive) the support costs of making changes is a nightmare and
justifies a different solution.

If a user directory product absolutely MUST be used, I recommend talking to
Novell. Theirs works well and can support multiple platforms. They did it
right before gates&co fouled up their mutation of it (disclaimer: I don't
like Novell products much but then I'm not very proficient in them. I worked
with someone who was pretty good a while back and base my understanding on
his analysis).

> -Brian

James P. Kinney III