[ale] Stupid IP question

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Jan 15 00:06:02 EST 2008

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2008 2:45 PM, List <lst at wiencko.net> wrote:
>> Yeah, actually traceroute does.  Just tried it on several machines.  It
>> nicely give me the network facing interface as the first hop after my
>> router.
>>

> That is a special situation of some sort.
>
> In general, each router has a source-facing IP and destination facing IP.
>
> traceroute should give you the source-facing IP.

I think it's implementation-dependent.  An IP stack might
decrement the TTL on the inbound side or the outbound
side, and the resulting ICMP message might originate from
either interface.  RFC 791 doesn't mandate the exact
behavior.

-- JK

--
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be
dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens