[ale] re-installs versus upgrades [was: Re: X wants nvidia libraries]

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Jan 11 14:38:56 EST 2008

On Fri 2008-01-11 08:39:10 -0500, David Tomaschik wrote:

> I don't know how often Mandriva releases new versions, but I can't
> imagine reinstalling a system every few months.  I do have separate
> /home partitions, so those would be preserved, but there's still a
> lot of system configuration in /etc, installing packages, etc.  Good
> to know about Mandriva.

Urg.  No kidding.  Reinstallation sucks, especially during the
reconfiguration steps.  What did i change to get that MTA to do what i
needed it to do again?

debian has me totally spoiled.  I've got machines i've been
continuously upgrading for years, and it's a really smooth process
that preserves all the work i put into configuring the systems in the
first place.  Three cheers for rigorous policy mandating that Upgrades
Must Work, and well-documented upgrade procedures[0]!

         --dkg

[0] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html