[ale] external monitor & automated refund request for Comcast or other services

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Fri Jan 11 09:13:14 EST 2008

Seems you have expectations of Comcast that are only going to leave you
disappointed.

Comcast's attitude about outages affecting residential customers can be
summed up by the Latin legal term /tuffus noogia/.  This has been the
norm for most all residential ISPs since the beginning of time (i.e.,
the mid-1990s).

Fortunately at my domicile Comcast outages are rare, but when they
occur, they are frustrating because whoever I get on the phone never
seems to have any idea why there's an outage, *that* there's an outage,
or when the outage they don't know anything about in the first place
will be corrected.  This is one big reason why I don't care for their
Digital Voice service; my copper POTS is still more reliable than theirs.

As an aside, it's very interesting to me from an engineering perspective
just to what extent reliability was hammered into the US phone system.
Maybe it was for the best that, at least for a while, there was an
iron-fisted and Government-protected AT&T monopoly.

It also gives me no warm fuzzies that while watching *analog cable*,
there will sometimes be picture freezes and/or pixelization, suggesting
that the problem is between a Comcast facility and their upstream source.

- Jeff