[ale] X wants nvidia libraries

Jim Sculley niceguyj at comcast.net
Fri Jan 11 07:14:25 EST 2008

Bob Toxen wrote:
> I am no longer to run X after upgrading my Mandriva system to Mandreva 2008.i (i586).
>
> During the upgrade process,

Since starting way back when with Mandrake(now Mandriva) 6.0, I've
learned to never upgrade.  Always reinstall.  The reinstall is an order
of magnitude faster and much more reliable.  It also gives you the
option of keeping most of your existing disk partitions, so with a good
partitioning scheme, you don't have to do much backup/restore.

> the Installation process noted my Nvidia graphics chip and asked
> me if I wanted Nvidia-specific drivers.  I said yes in my innocent belief that the Installation
> process knew what to do with the answer.

It does, when you reinstall.  All bets are off with the upgrade.

> Now, when I invoke startx it complains with:
>
> 	dlopen: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so:
> 	  cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> 	(EE) Failed to load /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so
> 	(EE) Failed to load module
> 	  "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so" (loader
> 	  failed, 7)
>
> The full output from X is at the end of the email.
> I'm a server guy, not a GUI guy.  HELP!

Check your system logs.  Mandriva uses DKMS

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6896

to build the Nvidia module at boot time if it detects a mismatch between
the nvidia packages, the kernel and/or the kernel source.  If it failed
to build the module, you'll see something in the logs.  If this is the
problem, get all the versions to match, and a reboot should fix things.

Jim S.