[ale] Anybody done fancy reconfiguration of PAM on Fedora

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Jan 10 10:50:32 EST 2008

Anybody here done any fancy reconfiguration of the PAM subsystem on
Fedora? If you have, I'd love to steal your experience...

What I'm looking for is the appropriate place to add a call to
pam_mkhomedir.so in the PAM setup found in Fedora 8. Best I can figure so
far, the candidate locations are in /etc/pam.d/login & /etc/pam.d/gdm or
in /etc/pam.d/system-auth (which is really just a symlink to
/etc/pam.d/system-auth-ac). Using the login & gdm pair means looking after
and remembering two locations of change, and testing both. A pain.
However, system-auth-ac is a target for the authconfig script and therefor
subject to being overwritten. While this is for a personal/family use
machine, I'd like to not break scripts.

As for motivation. With all my offspring being largely out of nest, there
is limited opportunity for them to log in here at the house. Still, I
prefer to maintain accounts for them. By using the pam_mkhomedir module, I
hope to be able to let them log in to their accounts without having to
actually maintain the directory system under home for them. I can just
copy the appropriate portions of /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow/, and /etc/group
and be done with it.