[ale] M$ gets record fine

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Feb 28 01:12:47 EST 2008

Robert Reese wrote:

> Open Source is the "Chinese Finger Puzzle" of the business world.  It
> is counter-intuitive, much like gun toten' to liberals.  For those
> people that believe that less guns means more safety, they cannot
> understand how arming potential victims (like college students of
> today) can actually increase safety and security.

This might possibly be true, if you didn't just arm them, but
also taught them about reasonable firearm safety, security,
and responsibility. I imagine you're aware that a privately-owned
handgun in the US is far more likely to be used in a homicide,
suicide, or accidental shooting than in self-defense.  It's not
obvious that having more of them would necessarily be a good
thing.  I should mention that I share the belief that a well-armed
society would probably be a safer, freer, and more secure one, but...
it's just a belief.

-- JK, fully aware of the irony of the founder of the short-
lived ale-politics list prolonging a political discussion on
*this* list.  I promise not to "contribute" any further to
this thread.

--
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be
dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens

In keeping with which: http://www.ichv.org/Statistics.htm