[ale] One file, two LANs

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Sun Feb 24 20:50:59 EST 2008

On Sunday 24 February 2008, Dow Hurst wrote:
> William Bagwell wrote:
> > snips
> > What am I forgeting?
>
> What about simultaneous edits?  That could corrupt the file.  How are
> you sharing other than Samba to the Windoze workstations?  Using NFS?
> Turn on locking then.

Hmm, had not worried much about the file its self. Other than it being a
protected document, with only the cells that need changing frequently being
unlocked. BTW I personally will have no need to have the password for the
main document. Nor much need for the unprotected content.

Will investagate the Samba angle. Only have a single LAN at home, but do have
three Linux boxes and a Windows box. Had not considered that one of the two
with server installed was giving access to (shared) files on the third to the
Windows. This could seriously complacate things.

Thanks! And Mike too! Yours is longer and it's bed time...
--
William