[ale] Which gives better performance raid 0 or 1 ?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Sat Feb 23 23:05:38 EST 2008

Generally RAID0, but at the expense of reliability.  RAID1 can give you
enhanced read performance under some situations.  But, because of the
reliability hit you take on RAID0 (twice the danger just from going from
one drive to two), it's difficult to recommend especially if you have
the RAM to make yourself a nice ramdisk as long as power-cycle
persistence isn't a problem.  You can get significant performance
improvement plus drive-loss survivability by using RAID1+0, but you do
so at the expense of storage cost-effectiveness.