[ale] New Distros, X11 Blues

Iram Hernandez iramhernandez at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 10:22:02 EST 2008

I've had similar problem connecting my Ubuntu computer to and HDTV.  The problem seems to be that the intel drivers do not have enough Virtual Screen Space by default.  Adding the "Virtual" line to your xorg.conf should do it.

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
        SubSection      "Display"
                Virtual 1440    900
        EndSubsection
EndSection

Another thing I've had to do is force the X11 to use a specific screen resolution instead of the one that it thinks it should use (this could be caused by your monitor sending messed up data to your video card).  This can be done by using the "PreferredMode" Option.  Again, this is one line in your xorg conf.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
        Option          "PreferredMode" "1440x900 at 60.0"
EndSection

Of course, you will need to check what specific resolutions are available from your video card and your monitor.  You can use the xrandr utility (this is run on the command line while X11 is running).  The same data can also be gotten from the X11 logs (although the specific location escapes me at the moment).  Good luck.