[ale] M$ Standing on a bridge

Andrew Brown dutch.fedora at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 11:09:26 EST 2008

Read this article "Microsoft specs out 'pay as you go' PC scheme" on  M$
moving towards a usage model for their OS. They say that it is really an
excellent idea in that users will only have to pay for what they use....
hmm. The consumer will pay less up front for their systems, but
admittedly more over the life of the computer.This tracking would
include memory usage, cores and disk space as monitored by a security
chip installed or software based metering application. Just what I think
Americans will really go for, M$ having full view of the hardware and
the software we have. I have to say that in the life of M$ this must be
the dumbest move I have seen. You can see the true marketing genius
floating around the halls of Redmond. I have a feeling Apple and Linux
are going to have a field day in the desktop market coming up here very
soon. It almost feels like M$ is standing on the edge of a bridge saying
the view is much better from here...

AB